May 16, 2019

Disconnect from Google

One of my (small) passions that I follow news and information on is identity protection. With a little time and effort, one can be their own Life Lock (not the legal support side however). Such actions as implementing a 'credit freeze' at the three reporting services, using password managers, placing spending notifications on credit card services, using unique passwords for sensitive accounts, etc. can reduce your identity exposure.

For social media and online purchasing services, take any and all actions in settings to reduce your exposure, but the Google services is one that could have much information about you. Below is a brief list of alternate services to consider to reduce your exposure to Google. The Source lists other services to break away from Google.

1. Google Search - I use Duck Duck Go or Start Page
2. YouTube - try Vimeo
3. Google Maps - for you Apple folks use Apple Maps
4. Gmail - anything other than Gmail, I use Proton Mail and Zoho (note: as a minimum, consider any two email addresses - one for general correspondence and one dedicated just for financial correspondence only)
5. Google Docs - I use Google Docs and Zoho Docs (but NEVER place any sensitive information on any)
6. Google Calendar - Use Apple's Calendar or the article's suggestion

Source: Reclaim Your Privacy

No comments: